Frequently Asked Questions

Yes. There are a number of federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination, including harassment (which is a type of discrimination), including Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 (Title IX), and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.  

Additionally, the University's Nondiscrimination and Anti-harassment Policy prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information.

Complaints must be filed within 180 days of the most recent alleged incident of discrimination. To file a complaint, contact OIE at (520) 621-9449 to schedule an intake interview. A consultant will ask you questions about what you’ve experienced and go over the OIE complaint form, if applicable. Once you fill out and sign the OIE complaint form, and it is accepted by OIE, the Respondent (the person you are complaining against) will be notified, and OIE can begin to investigate the complaint.

Students have a right to file a discrimination complaint with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR). OCR “enforces several Federal Civil Rights Laws that prohibit discrimination in programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance from the Department of Education.”  More information is available at

Employees have a right to file a discrimination complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. More information is available at

There may be other external agencies with which you can file a complaint – this is not an exclusive list. For example, if you are working on a research project funding by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), you can file a complaint with NASA’s Office of Diversity and Equal Opportunity. More information is available at For assistance in determining other agencies with which you can file a complaint, you can contact OIE.

Yes. You can call the OIE anonymously to receive information or ask questions. However, OIE may be limited in its ability to investigate or otherwise respond in the matter. (Please see UA Nondiscrimination and Anti-harassment Policy section on Anonymous Inquiries and Complaints.)

OIE will keep information confidential unless we are required to disclose information by law or disclosure is reasonably required for a legitimate UA need or process. In some cases, the UA has a responsibility to investigate or address a matter even if an individual does not wish to file a complaint. However, individuals can contact OIE anonymously for information or to ask questions as indicated above.

No. OIE consultants are prohibited from providing legal advice or representing students or employees. Consultants remain neutral throughout the process.

Yes. The University's Nondiscrimination and Anti-harassment Policy extends to University-sponsored activities, including UA-sponsored internships, clinics, or other off-campus learning opportunities.

It is against the University's Policy for Management of Personal Conflicts of Interest for an employee (including a Graduate Assistant) to be involved in a romantic or sexual relationship with someone he or she teaches, supervises, or evaluates. If an employee anticipates such a relationship, he or she must disclose the potential conflict of interest to his/her supervisor and work with the supervisor to create a plan to eliminate the potential conflict of interest (see the Policy for Management of Personal Conflicts of Interest for more information.)

Employees with disabilities within the meaning of the Americans with Disabilities Act are entitled to request reasonable accommodations from the University to enable them to perform their jobs. The Disability Resource Center (DRC) would determine whether you are eligible for accommodations and what accommodations are reasonable. For more information or to request an accommodation, please contact the DRC at (520) 621-3268 or

If you wish to request a disability accommodation in order to facilitate meeting or talking with OIE (forexample, ASL interpreting or assistance with building access) please contact OIE at (520) 621-9449 or

A religious accommodation is typically a change in work schedule or environment, or in the way tasks are customarily done, made to enable an employee to participate in his/her religious practice or belief without causing undue hardship to the University operations. Employees should make accommodation requests to their supervisors as soon as the need for accommodation is known and sufficiently in advance of any date accommodation is required.  See the University's Interim Religious Accommodation Policy.